Friday, May 4, 2012

The Hound Dog Test

After going to the temple yesterday I gave Katherine another driving lesson with Danger, my dearly beloved manual transmission Ford Ranger. The clutch is ghetto. So really, she just needs to work on the muscle memory of when to yank rather than gently pull from gear to gear. First to second can be killer. She usually ended up going First to Neutral. Overall, she didn't do bad at all! She even drove us back home from the Stadium. I know people regularly talk about getting some serious whip lash, but I didn't feel any knots in my neck this morning! This must reflect on what a great teacher I am...typical Rhoden pride surfacing. Sorry 'bout that folks! One day I'll marry out of it, haha! I hope.

Back to the story at hand. While we're driving over and all around the Rameumptom Tower of our Band practice field (West Stadium Parking Lot), our Marching Band Director comes along driving on his scooter and recognizes Danger and decides to chat. Bro. Mac is from the South--so we automatically know that we'll be parked for an hour. After the hour, we decided that we hadn't been over to the McInnis's house in ages and that we should get our little band group together and see them. And we did.

Here's the long explanation/background of the Hound Dog Test.

Yesterday Lydia, Sis. Mac, called me on the phone--she's as Southern as can be. **Tangent: I love talking to natural Southerners by myself because I can just let my Southern rip and let it all out. (Daddy and me. Oma and me. Megan and me. Uncle Lester and me. Bro./Sis. Mac and just me. Get the idea?) It almost feels like a tiger being let loose. When I'm around the Mac's with normal speaking peeps, my accent just plays peek-a-boo. I think it's because I just feel so self-conscious when non-Southerners hear me talk Southern and then stare. I can almost feel their ears perk up. Bleh. If I was smart and any more manipulative, I would use this to my advantage. But when I flip the light-switch with Southerner's and just let it ride, they don't even bat an eye. They only bat their eyes when I start speaking real...Yankee-ish. Also, I have this weird pet peeve when non-Southerner's try and speak with a Southern drawl. It never sounds natural. And makes me laugh--and run far, far away from speaking to them with any accent. So Sis. Mac called and we were chatting and she eventually found out that I was dating Matt and then she told me that I must bring him over so she could see if he passed the Hound Dog Test. Basically, Sis. Mac is like a hound dog and is able to smell things, so to speak, that other people would bypass. She said she had quite the record at being able to tell if it would last or not. I figured I didn't have much to loose and she always seemed like a good real judge of character. I kept this all to myself and took Matt to the Mac's. I think he was a little intimidated...she basically started out with, "So Matthew, tell me about yourself?". Of course he responded, asking what she wanted to know. And she looked him in the eye and said, "Everything". Haha. Poor, poor kid. Luckily others showed up real fast so we could help get him out of the spotlight. 

This morning, I got this text from Lydia:

                   Lydia: Very cute n seems very nice n well mannered. How much do you like him.
                   Me: I like him. :) He's very kind and humble and sometimes awkward, which is cute! Oh,
                           and he's really smart. Whats the hound dog's opinion?
                   Lydia: Id need to see you together one more time i didn't feel much chemistry coming 
                           from the two of you but that doesn't mean its not there. I do think he is a keeper if 
                           the other stuff is sparkin.
                   Me: I'm sure you'll see more of him. :) As far as the chemistry goes...I'm glad to know 
                            you didn't look out your windows last night when everyone left ;) 

Totally kidding everyone. Don't worry Mom. (; And I love ears. Which is why I think I just found a new love for Hounds.

1 comment: