Friday, April 30, 2010

A Love Letter from my Great-Grandmother

To my husband:

Today I just want to reminisce on some of the fine things I know about you. I well remember when you first came into my life. I had gone with many different fellows but I think that perhaps I had never thought to serious of getting married. Although I had made up my mind if and when I did marry I wanted to marry a fellow who was LDS and one that was LDS because he believes it was right, not one I had to convert. So when you came along a missionary who was filled with the importance of his mission, well I was satisfied. Then I remember the nice little things you used to do and then you came back to Idaho and I again went out with different fellows, but I remember when you called at Christmas from Salt Lake I believe the calm strength in your voice seemed to settle any doubts I had in my mind and I felt like I could trust my life with you.

We have had our ups and downs but I have always felt you were a strength for the right. I loved you for the way you loved the children each one as they came along as tired as you might feel as you came in from the field. You were never too tired but you could and would hold or tend to the baby or the next to the baby while I finished the meal. I still admire that trait in you as I see Shella or Ramona's little ones go to you. They trust you too.

I admire you for your honesty, in meeting obligations, your willingness to accept your responsibility in paying church dues, tithing and what is asked of you. Your willingness even though it meant sacrifice to send our children on missions and help them as best we could to get an education both in music and school. We also taught them how to work they maybe haven't appreciated to some of these things but I know that back of it all, all the time you were thinking of building character and I am sure as the years pass and their family grows they will appreciate you more and more.

I have loved you for the strength you have been to me in different offices I have held in the Church. You never put anything in the way of me doing the thing that was required of me. How you and Brother Beck would back us up in our Relief Society Bazoar's [gram said a "bazoar" was a sale of some sort to make money for church buildings or church programs] putting the fever in others to participate.

So I could go on and on but I guess I will just say "I love you because you are you" and hope our Heavenly Father will bless you with health to enjoy life for many years yet.

Your loving but not overly affectionate wife.
Effie.

No comments:

Post a Comment