Friday, November 25, 2011

Shanksgiving!

On Wednesday, the 30-day writing challenge thing said I should talk about my wedding. Not happening, since I"m unmarried and I'd rather leave the wedding dreams to reality and my mother's ears. Then yesterday was Shanksgiving! And I was suppose to put up a song that matched my mood?! Umm, probably Simple Things by Jim Brickman. An old favorite. I use to listen to on repeat when I was reallllllyyyyyy little while I bathed in my mom/dad's bathtub. Since we all know parent's bathtubs are more ideal then the 'kid's bath'. She always kept some musical-playing-device in the bathroom as she got ready and I think I was obsessed with the song. Anyway, we had a great day. When I'm home on vacation--life slows down A LOT (more details coming about the empty nesters in another post). Maybe it's the South. Or the lack of things to do, places to be, homework assignments to be written, but I usually end up sleeping, reading, watching movies, occasionally talking to the parents, following Macey around and bothering her and then starting over. It's quite refreshing anyways. But I decided that I was grateful specifically for the simple things: to be home, doing my own thing, not being too productive, helping mom in the kitchen, sleeping in, catching 5 minutes of Macey's Parade to watch Santa come, and yes, even having a holster attached to my hip with my dad making me practice dry firing the pistol, or going to spend Thanksgiving with the Peterson's. There's just a simplicity of the way of life that the men--non-nonchalantly watch football; the woman in the kitchen trying to finish the cooking, keeping things warm, breaking kitchen appliances, keeping 'ze babies out of the way, and hoping it all tastes good and no disasters really happen. And then the simplicity of toddlers. Grant and Blake are so cute. It was fun to actually spend time with them too--trying to understand Blake and do things "again, again". I loved the simple things of the quiet evening--watching Jane Eyre, the 4-hour one, upstairs with Mom 'til the late evening hours, just like old times. And then me finishing the poorly-written but decent book I was casually intrigued in reading. I'm grateful to be home.

1 comment:

  1. We LOVED having you home! Thanks for coming on such short notice!!

    ReplyDelete